Orcas! In my fjord

It was only a few minutes after I came home, I heard James scream: ORCAS! Katha, ORCAS.

And there they were, passing by again on their route from Vetlefjorden directly into our Sværefjord, just a few metres away from the shoreline. The excitement stopped me from being able to find the right buttons on my camera, getting frustrated and then just deciding to just enjoy it for a while. Listening to the exhaling and just waiting, being excited where the massive finns might pop up next time.


Knowing the paths they took last time in December I decided to quickly jump in the car with Teddy and Dan to see if we can follow them for a while. 

How could I have expected what was about to happen.

We stopped on the other fjord side and there they were. About 2 metres away from land gracefully paving their way through the water.

The sheer speed of them in the water is quite extraordinary, as you have to run to keep up with them. 


By then we had been running around Inge's pier in Farnes for a while and that of course was not unnoticed. Inge, Annie and Kamilla were luckily also at home, stood right behind us on the balcony and could watch the whales playing infront of their front door. We were all so excited with big smiles and huge eyes in all our faces. Kamilla was even able to make a little video of this moment, especially of that one when suddenly one of them peeked up at us, as if he wanted to check us out.

The sheer amazement can possible never be put into words. Writing this blog now, one day after, my hands are still shaking.

But that was not the end of it all.

We followed them along the cost then for quite a bit. Teddy trying to get lower down to come as close to them as physically possible. If you once seem to have lost track of them, you suddenly hear them again. A moment of real satisfaction.

If we could have just had a boat! That would have been the optimum. Seeing that it is February, our boat was however not in the water.

But then it happened. Inge, Annie and Kamilla stopped and said that Øyvind is about to come to Dragsvik with his boat and we could jump onto it. He would take us. That was our chance. 


As I had decided in a rush to follow them, my attire was however, let's say inappropriate with my thin wool jacket. But, Inge came to my saving and within a flash I had a lovely down jacket warming me. So, off to Dragsvik.


Unfortunately we could not all join on the boat, but I took my camera and joined Øystein, Benedikte and Gita on the boat. Well and for the rest, well I let the video speak for itself. The only thing I need to add.


I am speechless and still carrying this huge smile.


PS: Thank you to Øyvind, Guna and Benedikte for taking me. And to Annie and Inge for organising it. I am truly grateful!!

Write a comment

Comments: 1
  • #1

    Kev Wright (UK) (Saturday, 18 February 2017 16:08)

    Wow!... How lucky are you to live so close to so many amazing things!!!
    If only.......❤️��